As part of Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU), the Erlangen Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies (SAOT) acts as an interdisciplinary hub for research on photonics and optical technologies in Erlangen. SAOT provides an education program of excellence for national and international doctoral candidates and increases the scientific outreach to the general public in the fields of photonics and optical technologies.
The involved research groups are assigned to one of the four topics
• Quantum Optics and Ultrafast Dynamics
• Photonic Fibers, Materials and Devices
• Photonics in Production and Process Technology
• Biomedical Photonics and Image Data Processing
SAOT closely cooperates with different research institutes in Erlangen, e.g.
• Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light (MPL)
• Bavarian Laser Center (blz)
• Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Systems and Device Technology (IISB)
• Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits (IIS)
• Helmholtz Institute Erlangen-Nürnberg for Renewable Energy (HI ERN)
• University hospitals